Pages

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Corn on the Cob Bread


This is version two above, made with 1 c. teff flour and no sweetener (but the rest is the same).
This is version one below, made with 1 c. whole wheat and following the recipe to exactness.

Sorry I have not posted in quite a while! I have been so busy with school and things and just have not had much time to cook or blog.
Here's my newest creation though! Corn on the Cob bread! Yum! I had never heard of this before but I was so intrigued with it that I decided that I would be making this soon! (Usually I just bookmark it thinking "That looks really good! I'll have to make that one of these days!" And then it sits there forever until I get back to it)
Not this time! Stephanie used raw kernels, but I had already cooked my corn so I decide to experiment anyway. The results! Mmm...So tasty! Very moist, and not crumbly or dry like most corn bread. You can really taste the sweet corn flavor too.
I made this twice this weekend. I tried leaving out the sweetener since the corn helps give it a sweet flavor but decided I would at least leave half of it in next time. Also, I think what I would try next time is to leave out the applesauce, leave in the agave, and just try that. I think that would produce the best results. But hey, I ran out of corn on the cob ok? :)
Also, if you use think that it would work better with a GF mix versus just one GF flour if you go that route. Still tasted good though. :)
Just a heads up, it will be quite crumbly when hot but as it cools, it is easier to cut and not as soft.
I still prefer it warm though, especially with "butter" or in my case "Earth Balance" and agave nectar on top! :)
As I was making these I had another idea. I think these would work great as muffins.


In any case, whether you use GF flour or not, the recipe below should work well for you. :) And it's sure delicious! I served it with my easy black bean soup. MMMM :)


Corn on the Cob Bread

This recipe was inspired by my mom's classic corn bread and Stephanie@ Gluten Free by Nature's Corn (on-the-cob) bread.


Ingredients:
  • 2 ears of cooked corn on the cob (mine were large so that's about 1-3/4 c.-2 c. cooked corn, this allows you to use fresh corn anytime of year, even if you have to resort to frozen)
  • 1 c. flour (GF mix or whole wheat, one time I used whole wheat and one time I used teff but I suggest a mix, see above explanation)
  • 1/4 c. agave nectar or honey (I used agave)
  • 1/4 c. applesauce (or oil, but my philosophy is to put it where you can taste it most-on the bread!)
  • 4 t. baking powder
  • 1-1/2 eggs (I used one whole egg and one egg white)
  • 1/2 t. salt

Directions: Preheat oven for 425. In a blender or a food processor (which I used) puree corn on the cob (after it's been cut off) until fine. Then in a bowl combine the flour, sweetener, salt, baking powder, and pureed corn. Stir with a spoon or mixer. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir again. Pour into a greased square pan. Cook for 20-30 minutes or until top is brown AND bread comes clean when checked with a toothpick. :) If the top gets brown before the bread is ready, cover it with foil and place it back in the oven.

I entered this for Slightly Indulgent Monday's. Check it out here.



6 comments:

Jen said...

This sounds yummy! a great seasonal thing to have. :)

Linda said...

That's one I haven't heard of. It sounds great! I love corn bread.

Lauren said...

This looks lovely - I've never put actual corn kernels in my cornbread, but it sounds yummy =D.

Unknown said...

Sounds GREAT!!! I freeze corn on the cob and have lots on the freezer I'll need to take a couple out and try this recipe.
I have become a follower of your blog, come by and visit my blog and maybe do the same.
THANKS!!! for the recipe. Geri

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free said...

Corn on the Cob bread reminds me of a corn bread pudding my grandma used to make. It was more of a spoon bread than a slice and eat bread.

Don't the dark GF flours crack you up??? I made some muffins that were GF AND white today. Shocked me. I kept thinking something was wrong but it's just that they're not brown.

Thanks for linking to Slightly Indulgent Mondays!

trishtator said...

That looks great - I'd really like to try it!