I wanted to make sloppy joes one night but also really wanted to serve them traditionally in buns. So, I found this recipe and made it my own. It was really easy, tasty, and fast.
Here is the recipe with slight alterations:
With my slight alterations taken from this site
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1/3 cup oil (I used grapeseed)
- 1/8-1/4 cup honey (I think I used 1/8th)
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (or other GF/wheat free flour mix)
- Combine water, yeast, oil and sugar or honey; let rest for 15 minutes.
- Add salt, egg, and flour to yeast mixture and mix well.
- Roll out 3/4 inch thick and cut into 10-12 rounds with a cookie cutter or a mug like I did :).
- Place rolls on greased cookie sheet. I rub mine down with butter or organic palm oil shortening.
- Bake at 400-425 for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Be careful not to overbake or they will be too dry. Every oven is different. Slice in half and voilla! There you have it! :)
*If you are making these to go with something, I suggest starting these first and cooking them while you make your food so that they can cook and cool. :)
** They also make good sand which rolls.