Pages

Friday, July 24, 2009

Recipe Review #1: Healthy and Yummy Chocolate Zucchini Cake Mu

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

Ever wish you could find out if that recipe is actually good? Yes? Well, you've come to the right place. This starts my first post of recipe reviews. I will note when I follow a recipe exactly or closely and what the results were. The past week, my mother made chocolate zucchini cake for the rest of the family. Knowing that I could definitely not partake of the glutenous, sugar, and dairy laden cake, I started to look for some sort of cake or muffin that I could make and then freeze the leftovers. I found this post and will show it with what I did and the results I got. But all the credit definitely goes to ladybugsandbees! I followed the recipe pretty closely!

Gluten Free Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

(I got 18 muffins with this recipe)

  • 1 cup extra finely ground brown rice flour
  • 1/3 cup potato starch (not flour)
  • 2 Tbs plus 2 tsp Tapioca Flour /Starch
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 2/3 cup agave nectar
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil (melt if solid)
  • 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk plus 2 Tbs water
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup shredded zucchini

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin pan with paper liners or spray with non stick spray.

2. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt. In a second bowl, combine agave nectar, coconut oil, coconut milk,water, eggs and zucchini. Add the flour mixture to the “wet ingredients” and mix well until fully blended.

3. Divide batter evenly between muffin cups, filling each to about 1/2- 3/4 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

These were really good! I could taste the yummy coconut flavor in them too with the oil and coconut milk. Next time, I want to try them with less fat and sugar etc but I am learning to follow the recipe to exactness on the first try making it :) . I will update you when I make them again. Also, see her site for just plain chocolate muffins (use 1 c. applesauce in place of the zucchini). I filled these about 1/2 to 3/4 full and then wet my fingers with water to smooth the tops so that they’d be even. They are filling and rich tasting. For an even richer treat, add chocolate chips as she did or raisins. Thanks again ladybugsandbees of gluten-free naturally!

0 comments: